Monday, May 19, 2014

The Box

It is so easy to forget that our parents had lives before us. 
It's weird to think that they went through the same stages of life we do.
I was recently going through some pictures of my mom when she was my age.
Her life was so much more exciting!
She joined the military right out of college and toured the world.

My mom and I are different people, that grew up at different times, but some experiences stay the same throughout the decades.


You pose for pictures in dress up clothes.


You experience different cultures.
My mom helped Cuban refugees while in the Air force and I went to Haiti.


We deal with roommates.
Apparently, my mother and I had roommates that creeped on us sleeping.
Written on the back of my moms picture: Sleepyhead. Karla. My first roommate.
Description of my picture on facebook: What a cutie pie just sleeping away counting sheep ... 1 sheep, 2 sheep , 3 sheep ... Asleep


We experience nature with our friends in crazy ways.
My mom is the one in the purple with a cigarette in her mouth.


Of course you have to see famous landmarks of America!


Sometimes you have a need for speed.
That would be my mother with a bottle of booze, in a bikini, on a moped in Italy.


Dressing up for Halloween is mandatory....



...and so is dressing fancy!



You cannot forget the bikini pictures with your sidekick.
We need reminders of what our bodies once looked like!




What's skin cancer?
Everyone tends to forget about it when a tan is needed.

You cannot forgot the serious pose! 


....or just a smiling picture of yourself.


Finally, we have posing with different cars. 
It helps remind you of the decade that the picture was taken.
That would be another cigarette in my mothers hand...

One day the pictures of my youth will end up in a box.
I'll look in the mirror expecting to see the face of a young girl and instead I'll see the face of a woman that experienced life and has the wrinkles to show it.
I'll find a box buried in the basement and open it. 
It will be filled with pictures of a time long past.
I'll remember the friends that became family, the memories of a time where we had the world at our finger tips, and I'll be reminded of memories that I had forgotten about.

Until then you will find me posing in bikinis next to the people I love and living every moment to the fullest.
Life goes to fast and before I know it I'll only have memories of a youth, hopefully, well spent.
So here is your reminder to enjoy the stage of life you are currently living.
You're never going to get this moment back and wishing for the future just wastes that time.


"The best thing about a picture is that it never changes, even when the people in it do.
-Andy Warhol

No comments: