Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Mono

Mononucleosis, also known as "mono", is the worst thing I have ever had to deal with. I couldn't eat for 6 days because my throat was so swollen. I attempted to eat mashed potatoes and I choked. My last meal before my diagnosis was a bean burrito from Taco Bell. I had to think about that as I laid on the couch pitying myself for days. My ears were killing me and I thought it was just a part of the mono. My mom finally brought me into the clinic and I got diagnoised with a double ear infection. I thought that was the cherry on top of this whole mess, but I was wrong. The doctor had me taking amoxicillin and the mono virus reacted with it. My body is currently covered with a lovely red spotty rash that itches like no other. My lips started to swell and my doctor insisted that I go to the ER immediately, because my throat could be the next thing to swell. Well, I survived my visit to the ER and the doctor made some joke about people spending thousands on collagen to make their lips look like mine. That did not make me feel better at all. I'm not allowed to drink alcohol or lift anything over 10lbs because I could rupture my spleen. When will this madness end? Apparently, it differs for everyone, but it typically lasts for a month. Yay! I'm half way done....maybe.



1 comment:

Elisebeth Hovland said...

Yeah, my mono was a super "light case." I felt like I had a bad version of the flu for a week and then was just exhausted for another. But after that felt pretty fine. However, I still got out of housework because my mom was afraid I was still too fragile. Praying for you hun!