Sunday, March 1, 2015

God

"I'd rather be fishing think about God than in church thinking about fishing."


Fishing is not my idea of fun, but this quote really hit home for me.
Church has never been my safe haven.
I'm often jealous of people that feel like they belong at church, because I have never felt that belonging. It could be because of the situations I have found myself in within the church or maybe I just haven't found "my" church. 
So called "Christians" have often ridiculed my decision to step away from the church, which in a way has pushed me farther away from it. Going to church doesn't make a person more holy, nor does it give you any right to decide that I am lost sheep who needs saving, because I don't attend one.

"It feels like a big bait-and-switch sucker-deal; advertising a "Come as You Are" party, but letting us know once we're in the door that we can't really come as we are. We see a Jesus in the Bible who hung out with lowlifes and prostitutes and outcasts, and loved them right there, but that doesn't seem to be your cup of tea. Church, can you love us if we don't check all of the doctrinal boxes and don't have our theology all figured out? It doesn't seem so. Can you love us if we cuss and drink and get tattoos, and God forbid, vote Democrat? We're doubtful. Can you love us if we're not sure how we define love, and marriage, and Heaven, and Hell? It sure doesn't feel that way. From what we know about Jesus, we think he looks like love. The unfortunate thing is, you don't look much like him. That's part of the reason people are leaving the church." - John Pavlovitz

So if I don't attend church how can I possibly feel close to Christ?
I explore the world and continue to be amazed how my God created it all.
I have deep conversations with people of all walks of life about God, religion, ideas, and discoveries.
I would love to hear your story about how God has changed your life and how church is your place to worship! I just wish you would be as open to hear about how God has blessed my life as a non-church goer. I even would love to hear about your life as a nonbeliever!

Will I ever return to the church setting? Maybe. 
Right now I'm enjoying growing in my faith in another way.


No comments: