Sunday, January 3, 2016

Day 6: Roosevelt Island, Little Italy, One World Trade Center, Friends, Sex and the City, Stonewall Inn, and the Plaza Hotel



This trip is just flying by! It's so easy to fit things into our day, but that makes the day go by so fast.
We stopped at Bloomingdale's and Urban Outfitters right away in the morning. Bloomingdale's was crazy expensive, but it was fun looking around at clothing that could pay people's rent or even mortgages!
Next we went on the Roosevelt Island Tramway! It takes you over the river to Roosevelt Island and gives you a beautiful aerial view of the city. It also didn't cost us anything, because we could use our metro cards on it!
By this time we were very hungry and decided that we wanted Italian!
So we headed to Little Italy, which is also in/near Chinatown.
Our service was awful and the food was expensive, but we did get Italian food.

Afterwards, we went to the One World Trade Center!
We have seen the One World Trade Center throughout our trip between buildings, but this was our first time getting right up to it.

We also passed St.Paul's Chapel, which is the oldest surviving church building in Manhattan. It survived the 9/11 attacks even though it was facing the east side of the World Trade Center site without even a window breaking! It was then used for refuge workers throughout that time. 
Our ultimate goal for the day was to go see the Statue of Liberty, but we ran out of times and the ferry stopped running! Instead, we headed back home to eat dinner. Victoria managed to get a really bad cold the past few days so she was on the struggle bus. She decided to stay home, while I went out again. I didn't really have a plan, but I didn't want to miss out on time in the city!
I just happened to stumble across a cute vintage store called No Relation (L Train Vintage) and found a cute pair of pants. I have down way too much shopping here, but at least I have some new cute items to add to my closet.
Then I hopped on a bus and found the apartment building they use for the tv show Friends!
It is located in a fancy area in Greenwich Village.
On my bus ride I just happened to pass Stonewall Inn.
So I made the trek back to take a picture!
The Stonewall Inn was the site of the 1969 riots that launched the gay rights movement.
There's a little history lesson for you!
Then I walked to the place that Carrie Bradshaw calls home in Sex and the City!
The owners are clearly not fond of all the visitors their house gets and have plenty of signs telling people to stay away.
My last stop for the night was the Plaza Hotel!
I watched Home Alone 2 and Eloise so much as a kid.
Seeing the actual place was really cool!
I even snuck inside and got this picture of the Christmas tree.

I had a very successful night out!
I missed my partner in crime, but I also didn't mind going out alone.
I'm definitely a bit of a loner at heart.

No comments: