Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Family

The past few years I've been working really hard at getting to know my extended family. My mom has eight brothers and sisters so my extended family is fairly large. I've always gotten together with my family for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, and the occasional wedding/funeral. Of course, I saw certain family members more often, but others just stuck to those occasions. I understand every family is busy and that they are off living their own lives, but the lack of contact has always bothered me.


 So once I could drive myself around I took matters into my own hands. I would randomly invite my aunts to lunch or text my cousins and try to get to know them that way. This was really hard for me, because I'm awful at small talk and I hate texting! Everyone was always surprised when I reached out to them, which is crazy to me, because reaching out to family shouldn't be surprising. This went on for a few years with mainly me continuing to reach out, but the conversations got better and I really got to know my family.



This past year I have been more busy and reaching out less. Much to my surprise my family started to notice the lack of contact. All of a sudden I had my cousin and aunts inviting me out to lunch. I'm very in the know of the random happenings in the family, because I'm the only one that hangs out with everyone. My family members are always telling me how jealous they are of my relationship with everyone in the family! I must admit it was not an easy process and sometimes I still feel like my family could put in a little more effort.
I highly suggest trying to get to know your family members!
We often times let our busy lives get in the way of some really important relationships.








No comments: