Thursday, March 10, 2016

Starbucks baby

I'm in love with labor and delivery! My clinical for the past few weeks has been in OB, which is a nursing specialty that I have always been interested in. Getting to experience the miracle of life entering this world has had me on cloud 9. I have also gotten to see the not so fun side of OB, such as moms recovering from rough births, loss of babies, babies withdrawing from drugs, etc.

Today, I finally had my tendency to arrive early to places work in my favor! At 0645, my nursing instructor rushed to my group and asked who was the first to arrive. I raised my hand and she announced that I would be getting to see a c-section that was happening in 10 minutes. So we rushed to the locker room to get me in surgical scrubs and then she brought me to the patients room. I walked in and saw my co-worker Bryan standing next to the hospital bed. He looked at me all confused and finally said, "Rae, what are you doing here?" I told him that I just happened to be doing my OB clinical at the hospital. It's not everyday that you get to see your co-workers child be born! I got to see his wife get an epidural, get prepped for surgery, and finally have a c-section. I also was the person to give his son his first bath! It was the coolest experience. I have been hearing about this babies arrival for months and I still can't believe that I got to see it firsthand. Plus, it is a great story to tell!

I left the hospital in the greatest mood ever. I couldn't stop smiling! Life is such a beautiful thing.


No comments: