Saturday, August 20, 2016

Positive

I've had my problems in the past with the church and certain types of people that the church seems to draw in, but that doesn't change how I feel about my faith. One of my favorite topics to discuss with people is religion, because I find that people bring so many different thoughts and ideas that I wouldn't have thought about. It helps me grow in so many ways! So with that in mind I agreed to go to my friend Andrea's church. I haven't gone to church since my senior year of high school. I mean I want to hear all about other people's beliefs why not take an hour to learn something from a pastor!

The main thing I took away from the sermon was about complimenting people or receiving compliments. A lot of the times when someone is saying something kind about you it is so easy to get bashful and brush off what they are saying. They might even stop believing you if you compliment them enough. It's because society (he said the devil, but I changed it to society) puts us down all the time. Just turn on the TV and there will be a commercial telling you that you need this or that to improve yourself. We even put ourselves down and rarely take time to raise ourselves up. We have become so accustomed to the negative comments and accepting that as the truth, instead of accepting the compliments and taking those to heart. I do believe that constructive criticism is important for growing and learning, but so often the criticism we receive is not that. So we need to start accepting the positive compliments. We also need to start lifting each other up, instead of putting each other down. Accepting compliments should become the norm!

My group of friends and I have become really good at lifting each other up. I have noticed that friend drama is almost non-existent if you speak about positive things. I even feel better personally after I tell a random stranger that I love their outfit or compliment a friend's new project. We can all benefit from this.



No comments: